Michigan Association of Independent Land Title Agents
Michigan Association of Independent Land Title Agents
Who We Are
We are a Michigan based non-profit organization within the state of Michigan. We are a state chapter of the National Association of Land Title Agencies (NAILTA). We exist to educate consumers about the importance of using Independent Title Agency’s and to provide information to the public about the damaging effects of affiliated business arrangements, joint ventures & marketing agreements have on consumers involved in real estate transactions.
If you would like more information about MAILTA or you are interested in joining our organization, please visit our Join Us page.
Our Goals Are
1. Restore transparency and credibility to the land title process and preserve an objective and impartial role at the closing table to improve the overall consumer experience.
2. Address the proliferation of controlled business arrangements and eliminate conflicts of interest between title agents and their referral sources, as well as, between all real estate settlement service providers and their sources of business.
3. Establish a minimum search standard for title examinations to restore faith in the system of land title.
4. Knit together common interests and concerns from across the country and across the entire spectrum of real estate settlement service providers to successfully advocate for consumers, independent agents and like-minded partners in the real estate settlement service community in order to effect positive change on the title industry.
Our Board of Directors
Amber J. VerBurg is the Vice President of Safe Title, Inc. She manages their escrow department and various title agency operations, including compliance and is regarded as an expert in title and escrow services. She has played a key role in the continued growth and success of Safe Title, Inc.
Amber started in the title industry in 1998, after attending Western Michigan University and Davenport College. Through diligence and dedication she quickly gained a broad range of experience in a number of positions within the industry and she has a deep understanding of the profession. She has a passion for all things related to the land title industry. For example, in 2012 Amber worked with the State of Michigan Department of Insurance and Financial Services and with PSI to reformulate the licensing examination process for those wishing to be a licensed Resident Producer in Title Insurance. She is relishing all of the CFPB changes and challenges that title agents are facing with what the new regulatory landscape demands.
Amber believes in being involved with other trade associations and boards as she currently serves as the Chair for the Education Committee for the Michigan Land Title Association. She is also a board member for the Fair Housing Center of West Michigan Lakeshore Advisory Board. Additionally, in early 2014 assisted in the formation and is the Chair/President of the Michigan Association of Independent Land Title Agents (MAILTA).
Amber lives in Holland, Michigan and her free-time, she enjoys gourmet cooking for her loving husband Tom and their two beautiful children. She also appreciates all of the amenities of living along the West Michigan lakeshore.
Jason studied real estate law, finance and insurance at Ferris State University. He joined Mid-American Title Company in Traverse City in November 1997. He gained experience working in several departments there giving him a deep understanding of title insurance and closing. Prior to title insurance, Jason worked at a family-owned hotel in Traverse City, MI where he managed all the day-to-day operations.
He is active in organizations such as National Association of Independent Land Title Agents (NAILTA), Michigan Association of Independent Land Title Agents (MAILTA) and Traverse Area Association of Realtors (TAAR). His activism provides him the opportunity to bring much needed attention to freedom of choice for the consumer, the importance of independent title agents and the need for protection of a true third party closing process.
Jason is northern Michigan born and bred! He lives an outdoor lifestyle, has lead both Boy & Girl Scout troops and he enjoys hunting, fishing and camping in his spare time. He has two very active boys, two dogs and lives on a working third generation tree farm.
Traci has been in the banking/title industry since 1993, starting as a bank teller at FMB Bank and transitioning over to the title industry in 1998 as an Escrow officer at First American Title. Traci built a strong customer following while at FAT and remained there until December of 2009. Beginning January 2010, Traci continued her career as a closer with The Closing Office/ Best Homes Title.
In 2013 Traci along with two business partners she started Abacus Title & Escrow Group. She lives in Hastings with her husband John and three children.
Dave has worked in the title industry since 1993. He got his start as a courier for First American Title. He holds a Bachelor’s in Business & Finance from Davenport University. Dave enjoyed a wonderful 14 year career with FATIC as a Closer, Account Rep, Branch Manager, Customer Service Trainer, HR Director & Area Manager. His work in title & escrow has taken him all over Michigan, allowed him to work in multiple states and even Mexico!
In 2006, Dave founded Synergy Escrow Services which became America’s One Title Agency, Inc. in April of 2007. Currently, Dave is President/CEO of America’s One Title Agency. In addition to MAILTA, he is a proud member of ALTA, MLTA and GRAR. Dave is married to his childhood sweetheart Jennie. They live in Rockford, MI and have two children, Zach and Grace.
Our Code of Ethics
1. Members shall do nothing in their professional capacity that would create a conflict of interest between the business of title insurance and the business of their customers or create the appearance of impropriety in the conduct of their business.
2. Members shall continuously endeavor to obtain and hold a reputation for honesty, integrity and avoid any circumstance in which the independence and autonomy of the title insurance agent may be questioned.
3. Members shall support legislation throughout the country and/or private action within Michigan which is in the public interest and will unburden real estate from unnecessary restrictions and restraints on alienation so long as that legislation and/or private action preserves the sanctity and integrity of the land title insurance agent and the title insurance industry as a whole.
4. Members shall support the organization and the development of those title associations that support the efforts of independent land title insurance agents.
5. Members shall continue to issue abstracts of titles or policies of title insurance only after a complete and thorough investigation, founded upon adequate records and learned examination thereof, and shall otherwise so conduct their business that the needs of their customers shall be of paramount importance so long as those needs do not conflict with the role of an independent land title insurance agent.
6. Members shall advocate for the preservation of the independent land title insurance agent in Michigan and shall do all things legally necessary to ensure that prohibited persons do not act as agents for title insurance companies.
Michigan Association of Independent Land Title Agencies